BIG Z Sports – Chris Kail Mock Draft 2.0
Steelers 2020 Draft Picks
The Pittsburgh Steelers traded their 2020 first round and fifth round draft picks for proven second year Safety Minkah Fitzpatrick last September. Minkah was the 11th overall pick in 2018, so in reality, they got to see their 1st round pick play for a year in Miami, before drafting him. But, there is some talk of the Steelers trading back into the first round. So, that is where I will go with my Mock 2.0.
The Steelers trade JuJu Smith – Shuster, Vance McDonald and their own 4th round pick (#135) to the New York Jets for the 11th overall pick.
The Jets only have 6th-year pro Jamison Crowder, 5th-year journeyman Breshard Perriman and 6th-year man Quincy Enunwa on the roster at WR and they really have no TE’s worth mentioning. Perriman had a career year with Tampa in 2019. He had 36 catches for 645 yards and 6 TD’s. Enunwa was out after the opener with a season ending neck injury and is questionable for 2020. Crowder had the best season of the 3 in his 1st year with the Jets. He had 78 catches for 833 yards. They need help for Sam Darnold and Le’Veon Bell, and they need it badly.
JuJu, who is in the final year of his rookie contract, only played 12 games in 2019. But, in 2018, he had 111 catches for 1426 yards and 7 TD’s. He is a UFA in 2021, but is a proven weapon. McDonald can be very explosive and reliable if he is healthy. He will be in his 8th season. His best season was 2018 with Pittsburgh, where he caught 50 balls for 610 yards and 4 TD’s. The last 2 years of McDonald’s contract are Club options, before becoming an unrestricted free agent in 2022. The acquisition of Eric Ebron made Vance expendable.
So the 2020 Draft for the Black and Gold will look like this:
- Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama – The Steelers need arguably the best WR in the draft. He is 6’1″ and 193 lbs. He ran a 4.45 in the 40 yard dash and he has a 35″ vertical. He has speed, balance and inhuman-like agility. He has OBJ type skills. 77 catches for 1163 yards and 10 TD’s in 2019 and his numbers would be freakish with Ben Roethlisberger in 2020. Oh, did I mention that he is a good blocker? The Steelers love a good blocking WR too!
- Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama – The Steelers filled a need with a ‘Bama kid in the first round and they do it again in the second. Davis is 6’7″ and 311 lbs. He missed time in 2019 with a sprained ankle but still managed 47 tackles and a half sack. He is touted as only a 2-down lineman, but a superb run stuffer. The Steelers have not had a run stuffer since Casey Hampton, and he made a living doing it for the Steelers.
- Solomon Kindley, G, Georgia – Pittsburgh desperately needs some depth on the offensive line. The 6’3″ 337 pounder from another SEC team will fit in well. He is a powerful run blocker and he is athletic in pass protection. He gained a few extra pounds in 2019 that the Steelers will want him to trim off. The extra weight causes him to be a little to slow, allowing him to get beat by a good speed rusher.
- Terrance Steele, OT, Texas Tech – Is there a better fit than a player named Steele to be in Black and Gold? Not in the 4th round of the 2020 NFL Draft. Steele is 6’6 and 312 lbs. He is very athletic and has great length on the edge, but he had a bad Senior Bowl, dropping his stock. Pittsburgh will get him back on track and let him learn behind some good Veterans, filling another depth position on the O-Line.
- Jordan Fuller, S, Ohio State – Fuller can help add some depth to the secondary and he can learn from some of the best in the game. He is 6’2″ and 203 lbs. He had 62 tackles and 2 INT’s, but ran a slow 40 (4.65), dropping his stock.
- Maurice French, WR, Pittsburgh – The Steelers finish up their 2020 draft with a senior that is no stranger to the Steelers personnel. He is 5’11” and 200 lbs and he can flat out fly, running a 4.4 in Pittsburgh last summer. He broke Larry Fitzgerald’s single season reception record (92) with 96 catches for 850 yards 4 TD’s. Did I mention that he missed 2 games in November with an injury? He can add depth at WR and he can be used in the return game.
Copyright WTUZ Radio Inc., 2020