Mary Alice Reporting – 

It’s the holiday season and most residents will put up the decorations inside and outside the home.

More than one-third of home fires, due to decorations, was started from candles so the National Fire Protection Association asks anyone using a candle to extinguish when leaving or going to bed.

According to Dover Firefighter Matthew Hamsher, one prevention measure is to never overload electrical outlets.

“Electrical fires are a big cause of our house fires, especially this time of year, along with alternative fuel heating sources.”

This also extends to any outdoor decorations and ensuring that the cord used is designed for outside use and also has a heavy-duty rating.

Hamsher also encourages households to have working smoke detectors and Dover residents can get one through a program at the fire station.

Copyright WTUZ Radio Inc., 2020