Gwen Rummell Reporting – Mushroom foraging is a popular activity enjoyed by cooks and outdoorsmen but can oftentimes become deadly.

Edible mushrooms are known to be safe to eat because they have been eaten frequently over time with no negative effects. However, they commonly have poisonous look-a-likes, which causes a need to identify them with certainty.

Harrison County Wildlife Officer Nick Turner warns foragers to be knowledgeable about what they are harvesting before they try consuming it.

“Several of the mushrooms that grow in the woods, they can cause anything from kind of an upset stomach and nausea or vomiting to some of them can cause death. So it is important to know what it is you’re looking far and know how to prepare it.”

Books, websites, online groups, and apps are all a beneficial way to learn about foraging and properly identify outdoor plants and fungi.

Even after identification, keep a portion of the mushroom planned to be consumed to help emergency services in case of illness.

If an individual is feeling unwell after mushroom consumption, contact Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. For life-threatening symptoms, call 911 immediately.

Copyright WTUZ Radio Inc., 2023