Mary Alice Reporting – A brief evacuation occurred at the Quality Inn after a patron reported smoke in the room.

The Dover Fire Department responded Tuesday, just before 5pm, to State Route 39 and were on scene for over two hours.

Captain Mike Mosser explains that a room occupant reported smoke coming from the heating unit.

“It overheated and caused some damage to the unit, expelling the coolant out of the unit. So the unit had some coolant and smoke in the room and some common areas in the hallway outside the room.”

He says it took crews roughly an hour and a half to vent the impacted room.

“One of the problems in a hotel, the windows only open an inch or two one the floors above the first floor, so it just took them some time. Because it’s a high occupancy facility, we were using air monitors to make sure the quality of the air was okay.”

No one was injured and damage was contained to the rooms heating unit. As a safety measure, the inn was evacuated for a short period.

Copyright WTUZ Radio Inc., 2023